1920 Stutz Bearcat Model H - ex Harrah, Rockefeller, Melton
Formerly owned by auto collector greats: Harrah, Rockefeller & Melton
Known ownership for 93 years!
Featured in the book "Bright Wheels Rolling "by Melton
First owner 1920 to 1924, unknown
Second owner 1924 to 1949, Roman Kauewic – blacksmith, Wisconsin
Third owner 1949 to 1961, James Melton – "Autorama" museum, Connecticut & Florida (a)
Fourth owner 1961 to 1975, Winthrop Rockefeller – "Museum of Automobiles", Arkansas
Fifth owner, 1975 to 2007, Bill Harrah – "The Harrah Collection" museum and Harrah Corp, Nevada
Sixth owner, 2007 to present, Current owner (b)
James Melton, famous singer and car collector acquired #7171 in 1949. He tells the story of the Stutz in his book "Bright Wheels Rolling". He found the Bearcat in Kauewic's blacksmith shop in Milwaukee where is had been sitting for 25 years! Once he acquired it, he gave it a full restoration, "stem to stern" nuts, bolts, plating and paint and he recounts, even the upholstery we got closest we could to the "hand-buffed Spanish leather" advertised by Stutz.
Still has brass number tag from Harrah in engine bay
The present owner commissioned Pennsylvania restorer Paul Vaughn to restore the car again in 2010.
Just serviced by Bob Moiser and fresh set of new Lucas tires.