1954 Ferrari 500 Mondial
1954 Ferrari 500 Mondial Pinin Farina Spyder, Series 1
Chassis #0438 MD
The 10th of a total of 12 built (series 1)
First sold in July 1954 to Porfirio Rubirosa, shipped to CA a few months later
Extensive California period racing history, driven by:
• P. Rubirosa
• John Von Neumann
• Phil Hill
• Richie Ginther
• William Pringle
• Bill Love
Raced at Santa Barbara, Palm Springs, Torrey Pines, Glendale, Pebble Beach, Pomona, Sacramento, Laguna Seca, Riverside all between '54-'59
In 1956 at Torrey Pines, with Phil Hill driving, the car blew a rod and its original typo 110 motor was written off. The car raced afterwards with a couple engines in it over the years until Ferrari replaced the motor in 2014.
After its extensive racing career, 0438 passed through many owners, keeping it original body, chassis, gearbox, etc...just its motor lost to the racing gods...it ended up being saved and resurrected by its current owner. He entrusted Ferrari Classiche in Maranello Italy to return the car to its original state and specifications when Rubirosa first bought it and raced it initially in Santa Barbara...blue with red and number 235 on it.
The Ferrari factory completely restored every component of the 500 Mondial including making a new engine to correct factory specification. The typo 110 engine, with internal number 50 MD, was constructed using the factory's Lampredi drawings on file from 1954. This new and powerful motor is stamped 110 "Classiche".
• 0438 won first in class at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance August 2015
• Platinum and Phil Hill Trophy at FCA nationals in Monterey August 2015
• Cover car and featured in Cavallino magazine #210
• Finest track/racing Ferrari awarded – The Competizione Cup at Cavallino Classic Palm Beach, CA 2015
Since being restored by the Ferrari factory, the 500 has had its restoration updated and improved upon by Bob Smith Coachworks and Patrick Ottis. 0483 is now in perfect running condition, and in need of nothing. It is ready for the track, show circuit or just a blast down the coast!
Extensive records, photos, history on file and 0438 comes with Ferrari Classiche Red Book, Massini report, books, tools, jack and many large framed period racing pictures.
• Pebble Beach Concours class winner
• Extensive 1950's racing history in California
• Ferrari Red Book certified
• Completely restored by Ferrari in 14/15
• Raced by Phil Hill, Von Neumann, Ginther and others
• Pictured with James Dean and Zsa Zsa Gabor